Saturday, July 7, 2007

I'm Not A Plastic Bag!

When I left my office late on Thursday evening (well actually, it was around 1:00am Friday morning), I noticed a group of people were camped oustide Harvey Nicholls opposite my building. Thinking not much of it I jumped in a taxi and headed home for some sleep. When I went into the office on Friday morning, the traffic was a lot worse than normal, even for Hong Kong, so I jumped out of the taxi by the HSBC building and walked the rest of the way to work. As I approached the office I noticed hordes of people queing patiently everywhere outside Harvey Nicholls and The Landmark Manadarin Oriental Hotel.

The excitement, it transpires, was not caused by some canto pop superstar staying at the hotel, it was in fact due to the scheduled release of a bag (not a plastic bag I hasten to add) which retails for around US$30, and which apparently is in high demand. The environmentally friendly bag, designed by Anya Hindmarch, apparently is a limited item and is so sought after that it can be resold on EBay for up to 10 times the original purchase price. This was enough to send scores of Hongkonger's out on the streets overnight throughout the city, in the hope of being first through the door the next day to secure a purchase.

On Friday morning, the crowd of around 2000, became so rowdy with people jostling for the best position, that none of the stores which were due to sell the bags could open due to safety concerns, forcing the hordes to head home tired and empty handed.

So if anyone reading this happens to have one of the said bags and finds they no longer want it, I am quite prepared to take it off your hands - for a good price of course!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

San
So any luck with the "I'm not a plastic bag" bag? Nice concept ^^

Hoj said...

San,
Funnily enough no one has offered to sell me one. To be honest I can't see what all the fuss was about. I don't think I would look god carrying one after all so I have given up!
There must be a few knocking round the local markets in China San. Have you seen any?