Saturday, June 2, 2007

Mexico City and Ruta Maya

I have neglected my blog somewhat over the past week or so and have not posted for a while, so I apologise to both of my regular readers for the lack of fresh content on the site. This has nothing to do with spending too much time watching my new television, but I admit may in part be to my recent participation (in vain I amy add) in the online hunt for a new Volvo SUV (yes a Volvo of all cars) and 50K US$ in cash, which needless to say I did not win.

In between spending too much time online and work, I have actually got round to sorting through some of my old photos (pre digital camera), and getting these scanned so that I can keep them backed up electronically. Some of the first I have gone through are from a trip I made back in 1999 to Mexico, Belize and Guatemala, where I backpacked the Ruta Maya from Palenque to Tikal after a spending a week in Mexico City.

It was an excellent trip, one which I had spent quite a while planning and thinking beforehand that it would be something rather cool and different to do. On reaching Palenque at the start of the Ruta Maya, it soon became obvious that there were a whole hoard of other travellers, all with the same idea, walking around clutching their copies of the Lonely Planet, checking out all the same hotels, cafes, restuarants and bars -it seems that there was nothing 'lonely' about the Ruta Maya at all.

I have posted pics from the trip on the photo blog. Check out the links from the photos section on the right.

No comments: