Monday, March 12, 2007

Dragon Boat Training

Well, after 9 years of living in Hong Kong I, for some reason (unbeknown to me now), decided that it would be good fun to join a dragon boat team for this year's races which will be held in June. All seemed well for a while, I signed some forms and did not give it too much more thought until I received an email last week advising that the practice sessions were due to commence this Sunday - at 9:30am in Sai Kung, (and every Sunday thereafter).
Sai Kung is a beautiful spot in the New Territories, particularly when it is warm and sunny (which it is not at this time of year). It is also about an hour from my apartment which means that I have to get up on my only day off earlier than when I need to go to work during the week. After waking up too late to make it by MTR, I took a taxi driven by an absolute psyhco who completely ignored my pleas to slow down, eventually arriving in a cold and rainy Sai Kung in plenty of time to take in the picturesque surroundings.
Whilst waiting for my other work colleagues to arrive I noticed that everyone else who was turning up for training were not only a lot younger than me but also in a lot better shape. When we finally assembled ready to commence paddling it became apparent that we had gate crashed the Hong Kong Auxiliary Police Force's Dragon Boat training session - not that they seemed to mind. No surprises that I was the only gweilo in attendance, and the only person sporting a beer belly! After an opening ceremony, bisan and speeches, it was time to tuck into the roast pork, have a quick chat with the Senior Inspector (who welcomed me and asked if I would like to sign up), before heading off out onto the water.
After a while it all sort of came together, by which time several of the paddlers were starting to tire. I am pleased to say that I held my own (if you know what I mean), and lasted the duration, although I am starting to feel the effects around now. Whilst under no illusions that it would be demanding, I did not realise that it would take it's toll not only on your arms, but also your back, waist, legs and feet! Still great fun all in all and looking forward to getting up nice and early next Sunday.
Below is pic from my phone showing the tranquility of the Sai Kung waterfront, with said dragon boat in the distance. Never noticed the UFO above the dragon boat when I took the picture, however it was early at the time.

No comments: