Friday, March 30, 2007

Swing Lo, Sweet Chariot...

It’s that time of year again where drunken revelry, outlandish behaviour, daft costumes, over indulgence and general naughtiness become the norm in Hong Kong - well in and around the Stadium and the bars of Wan Chai afterwards. Yes, the Rugby 7’s kick off this afternoon and a 3 day ‘hedonistic orgy’ (as today’s South China Morning Post puts it) awaits all of us lucky enough to have a ticket.

After missing last year’s 7’s which was U2’s fault – not mine (tenuous but I will explain later *), I am eagerly anticipating this year’s event. The IRB 7’s series is currently wide open with England under pressure to gain a result in Hong Kong to stay in contention, so there should be some good games over the weekend – not that you normally see any of them as it tends to distract from the serious business of drinking and generally watching what is going on around you.

So I apologise in advance to those of you who receive an intoxicated phone call from me at some inappropriate hour saying that I think you are a great mate, how much I miss you and that that I really, really love you etc. In the same respect, I also apologise to those of you who I do not call - it does not mean that I don’t think the same about you (of course I do), it just means that I have either come to my senses and thought better of it, run out of battery, somehow locked the keypad or worse, lost my phone!

Well, that’s enough from me for now. Just Friday afternoon to get through then I’ll be heading off to the stadium. Can England make it 5 in a row? – I sincerely hope so!

En..ger...lund! En..ger...lund!


* Last year we had tickets to see U2 in Japan the same weekend as the 7’s. A couple of weeks before the concert, U2 had to postpone the final leg of the tour including the Japan date (for very valid reasons I must add), which left me ticket less for the 7’s!

No comments: